Van Alstyne schools offer an educational environment that is large enough to offer a wide range of opportunities while being small enough to provide individual attention to each student.
Van Alstyne Independent School District serves about 1350 students from pre-K through 12th grades making us a 2A district. Over the past 15 years the Texas Education Agency rated Van Alstyne School District as “Recognized” or higher 11 times. In the latest local accountability ratings (2014), all three district campuses were rated exemplary with an average overall rating of 4.6 out of 5. VAISD was on average 12.27 points above the state average. 61 percent of eighth graders received commended scores in science — three times the number for students across the state (source: Van Alstyne Leader).
Though Van Alstyne has a proud historic past, our educational facilities are very modern. The elementary school building was built in 1998, the middle school was completely remodeled in 2008, and the high school was completed in 2003. Students and teachers enjoy modern facilities and the latest technology available in the classroom.
In September 2015, the school board voted on the configuration of a second elementary school, as the elementary school has grown by more than ten percent per year for the last two years (read more at the Van Alstyne Leader). For the 2018-2019 school year, the brand new Bob and Lola Sanford Elementary school opened, and John and Nelda Partin Elementary School was rededicated after extensive remodeling.
To serve both the mind and the body, there is an excellent athletic program in the district. Van Alstyne’s mascot is the Panther and community pride runs deep, being a one high school town. In 2007 the district built a new athletic training complex and completed a new football stadium in 2008 to host the Panther’s home games. The athletics program includes basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, tennis, golf, track, cross-country and of course, football.
In 1889 area merchants and landowners established Columbia College to teach arts & sciences and vocational training. Today Van Alstyne is the home of the Grayson College South Campus. Students can take courses in various fields of study including biology, computing, economics, language, education, government, history, mathematics, physical training, psychology & sociology, speech, and vocational nursing. In 2014, Grayson College opened a new 18,000 square foot Technical Center, allowing for expansions or relocations of four high-demand programs: Electrical Technology, Occupational Safety and Health, Welding and Medical Laboratory Techology.
Grayson College’s Center for Workplace Learning provides world-class education and training opportunities for employers and individuals throughout the Texoma region. Funded in part by Grayson College, the Grayson Small Business Development Center (SBDC) promotes small business success by providing management education. SBDC assists small businesses in creating jobs and economic growth by utilizing the elements of quality counseling and training, community involvement and the leveraging of resources.
Special projects at the South Campus include the Native Prairie Project started by Dr. John Partin with a grant from Texas Fish & Wildlife. This 85-acre Environmental Education Center is a native prairie encompassing various native habitats from native grasslands to woodland areas.
Finally, the Van Alstyne Public Library provides the community with reading and educational materials for the whole family with almost 40,000 books, audiovisual materials, and magazines plus a state-of the-art computer lab with high-speed internet access. The Friends of the Library is an opportunity for residents to volunteer and supplement library programs and services for children and seniors.