Van Alstyne offers unlimited opportunities for volunteers of all ages to get involved:
- Keep Van Alstyne Beautiful is a volunteer organization with a mission to beautify the city and its parks.
- Van Alstyne Ministerial Alliance sponsors numerous community events throughout the year. For example, Van Alstyne Great Days of Service is a non-profit service organization formed by the Van Alstyne Ministerial Alliance. It is a special city-wide civic event for volunteers of all ages to work with businesses and churches on service projects that better our city and the surrounding area.
- Delivering “Meals on Wheels” which is served out of the Senior Center, Monday through Friday
- Gayle’s Pantry, a monthly sack of groceries handed out to families in need the 3rd Wednesday of each month by the First United Methodist Church
- Operation Hometown Heroes which sends letters and care packages to area resident active in military service overseas and makes patriotic quilts for those returning home.
- Friends of the Van Alstyne Library support the library through year-round fund raising activities and through volunteer work in the library. Friends of the Van Alstyne Library now hold a monthly breakfast, an Annual Book Sale, and a Tour of Homes.
These are but a few of many opportunities to get involved in the community. There are 24 civic organizations serving the community in Van Alstyne — groups of all ages from the local school PTA to the Van Alstyne Voices Toastmasters to children & youth organizations. The Boy Scout troop was founded in 1917 making it one of Texas’ earliest Scout troops; formed only seven years after the BSA was incorporated in America.